USATF

USATF

Sunday, May 20, 2012

May Training


This year, so far, if you look at my mileage, it has been all over the place.  I've run as high as 111 in a week, and as low as 37 during the race week of pikes peek 10k.  I'm not saying this is a bad thing.  I think I've also worked on a lot of quality and precision of doing the right workouts this season, not just mileage.  I was also not training for a marathon this spring, so mileage, yes, I did not need to run too many 100+ mile weeks.  This summer and fall I will tap back into that as I aim to do a marathon in november.  However, I do plan to hit a couple more 90-100 mile weeks for the next few weeks before I taper down for Duluth.  The last few weeks I have run 71-72 miles each week.  What was impressive, actually about the 14:58 5k I ran was the fact that I had run 72 miles the previous week, whereas for pikes peek I ran half that mileage the week I ran 30:56 for the 10k(which is pretty close in performance compared to my 5k time).  Following the 5k at swarthmore, I ended up with 71 miles this week, with 2 days off.  I was tired after the race, but my body quickly woke up by the time wednesday hit and I got in some solid miles.  I did a nice moderately hilly 15 miler during the week, starting at whites ferry and hitting some back country roads where no one was in sight.  On the weekend, I ran 14 miles Saturday morning on the towpath with Matt.  On Sunday, I met up with the Duluth Crew(Sam, Karl, Jake) and we hit the up and down hilly trails near old anglers inn for about an hour before running a second hour along the towpath.  We picked up our pace once we hit the towpath nicely and Karl said he felt good so he hammered the last mile.  Jake and I ran togther along with Sam and finished up a 2 hour run of about 18 miles. I like finishing these long runs fast.  Afterwards, we hit Robeks and I pounded a large Smoothie.  I am going to Naples, Florida with Beth and her family from May 31-June 9.  I am looking foward to relaxing w/ Beth and just running.  If the weather in Duluth ends up being humid I will surely be prepared for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment